Links to International forums
Canadian Council of the Federation Link
The Council of the Federation was created by Canada’s Premiers in 2003 as a new
institution for a new era in collaborative intergovernmental relations in recognition
of the importance of provinces and territories playing a leadership role in revitalizing
the Canadian federation and building a more constructive and cooperative federal
The Council of the Federation's objectives are to:
- Promote interprovincial-territorial cooperation and closer ties between members
of the Council, to ultimately strengthen Canada;
- Foster meaningful relations between governments based on respect for the Constitution
and recognition of the diversity within the federation;
- Show leadership on issues important to all Canadians.
National Governors' Association (US) Link to Website
Founded in 1908, the National Governors Association (NGA)
is the collective voice of the nation's governors and one of Washington DC's most
respected public policy organisations. NGA provides governors and their senior staff
members with services, which range from representing states on Capitol Hill and
before the Administration on key federal issues to developing policy reports on
innovative state programs and hosting networking seminars for state government executive
The NGA Center for Best
Practices focuses on state innovations and best practices on issues that
range from education and health to technology, welfare reform, and the environment.
NGA also provides management
and technical assistance to both new and incumbent governors.
The Assembly of European Regions (est. 1985) is the largest independent network
of regions in the wider Europe.
Bringing together over 270 regions from 33 countries and 16 interregional organisations,
AER's mission is to:
- Promote the principle of subsidiarity and regional democracy;
- Increase the regions' political influence within the European institutions;
- Support the regions in the process of European enlargement and globalisation;
- Facilitate interregional cooperation across wider Europe and beyond.
International Forum of Federations Link to Website
The Forum of Federations is a non-profit, international organisation based in Ottawa,
Canada. The Forum engages in a wide range of programs of mutual cooperation that
are designed to help develop best practices in countries with federal systems of
government around the world.